Projects PreviewCategory: Blog, Thesis - MASK
Tags: draft. presentation.
Before coming to ITP, I was never a person who makes things or codes. I grew up pursuing high grades, good college, and proper stable jobs, and kept my fantasy and daydreaming well within leisure time and doodling. After graduated, I’d worked as macro economic analyst for 2 years, forecasting “far to reach” numbers in the market manipulated by many big hands, and I gradually became numb and the job became just task. Thus I decided to change the life path when I still can, and desire to do something that will only end good if you pay enough efforts in it. Something is not made by talking but made by hand. Learning 3D animation was my first step, and then I was in ITP.
Reviewed my past projects, I concluded myself a graphic person who want to do physical stuff. In the coding worlds, everything is so perfect, yet in the real world, everything is so against my will. I don’t know why I kept challenge myself with to do physical stuff even I know I’ll spend extra time on fabrication than other people. The connections of physical & physical, physical & graphics just fascinate me.
Overall, the projects can roughly summarized as
- fantasy realization
- trying to be weird
- hoping to be provoking
- and most of them were out of self desire.
I’ve been focus on web based 3D graphic using Three.js since Spring 14′, and extended to virtual reality exploration. In Fall 14′, I fell in love with gears and kinetic movement, with blood and tears, because of Automata class.
Thus(?) for my thesis, I’m interested in
- Daydreams / doodles realization
- Mask / helmet / thing that hides face: transform myself, communicate with the world as another identification
- VR: experience the impossibility, challenge with contradiction and illusion, combine with audio and physical feedback
- Chain reactions: both physical computing and analog (e.g. automata); to connect virtual with reality, experience virtual in reality, to make reality in virtual