For the class Haunted House Final, which is a real haunted house held on the floor of ITP, Jonathan, Michelle and I created “Brothers’ Room“, depicting a tragedy happened between brothers and how the lived one is haunted by the guilt and grief.
- Pere and his brother died in an accident and arrived at this intermediate stage between life/death. Brother, feeling unconflicted, moved on to afterlife, but Pere stays out of guilt, because he’s responsible for his brother’s death.
- Pere is haunted by himself.
- The room is a representation of Pere’s mind.
- Showing the loop of emotions
- (1) sweet memory with brother
- (2) scared of Brother’s death
- (3) freaks out as Brother’s ghost showing up in the mirror
- (4) guilty and asks for forgiving
- back to (1)
Technique / Effects
–> Reflecting Pere’s emotions, the room reflects this with more intense light, sound, and walls shaking. At the climax, the man realizes he’s responsible for his brother’s death, the wall of the hidden room drops, and his brother appears in the 2-way mirror. The man sees him and cracks. Annnnd, start over!
- DMX lights: controlled by Arduino, Tinker.it! DMX shield, and Max/Msp patch
- Sounds / Music: controlled by Max/Msp patch
- Burned scar of Brother: latex gel, tissues, and colors
- Hidden Room Revealed: fabric and strings!
Prep / Installation
Whole Crews :D